Tuesday, September 24, 2013

My Hope is in the Lord


“I can’t believe the school is teaching evolution! What about creation?!  What has our country come to!?!”

“What do you mean they are not going to display the nativity scene in front of the courthouse this year?!  It’s tradition! They’ve had that nativity scene out there every year since I was a child!”

“It is so sad that our government would pass that into law! I thought we were a Christian nation! Our forefathers would be rolling over in their graves!”

It seems like in the “Christian community” we are hearing more and more statements like these... Christians are getting upset because as a nation we aren’t what we used to be. Things are changing and not for the better. People are seeing the fall of Christianity in America and are beginning to get fired up.  I mean we are part of a nation that needs to step up to the plate morally and take a stand for what’s right! We are citizens of the United States and if we can’t come together as a nation UNDER GOD then we are all going to hell! Right?!?!

Hmmm? Just the other day my 6 year old was looking at a piece of US currency. He read the words “In God We Trust” and asked, “Dad? Why does it say that?”  My heart broke as I tried to explain to a 6 year old the state of our union.... where we once were, ... and where we are today?  Then I began to really mourn in my soul as I began to think about where we will be someday soon if we keep going the same direction.

As I wrestle with this today, the passage from Philippians 3 came to mind... as a believer my citizenship is in heaven. What does that mean? To me that says first and foremost I am a follower of Christ not country... my allegiance is to the Father, not the nation... My hope is in my adoption as HIS child not my elected officials... This is not to say that I don’t feel proud to be an American or I am not patriotic... I feel EXTREMELY blessed to be born in this country and I LOVE what we stand for as a nation. I just struggle with the idea that we have come to believe that God and Country go hand in hand... After all Jesus said, “Render unto Caeser what is Caeser’s and give to God what is God’s.” I respect and love my country and believe that we are the greatest nation in the world, but I cannot expect my country to take the place of God in my life. 

The bride of Christ is not the US of A... The bride of Christ is the church, and that is where my hope must lie!

Matthew 6:21 says, “Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” As a believer I cannot throw my moral investment into a man made government. My investment must wholly be in the Father... because where my investment is, there my heart is... As long as I am trusting in and expecting my government to do (through school curriculum or legislation) what God has called the Church to do, then I will continue to be frustrated and disappointed. 
So what am I supposed to do!?! 

As a follower of Jesus I am supposed to “raise up my child in the way he should go.” I must take up that responsibility! I am must be the chief influencer in my child’s life... and if every Christian parent took up this calling?! Our world would be a different place!

As the Church? You know all that energy we put into getting frustrated at what our government is doing?...  and communicating just how upset we are with our current leadership and how scared we are about where we are headed as a nation? What if we took all that energy and instead of focusing it on how bad things are, we focused it on teaching this next generation the values and morals found in Scripture? What if we taught them how to discern the Truth of the Gospel from the lies of this world?  What if we shared the HOPE found in Jesus Christ and grace we can have through a relationship with Him... 

What if we lived like our citizenship really was in heaven? What if we really were storing up our treasures in the right place? What would our world look like then?

The only way we, as the Church, are going to change the direction of the downward spiral our nation is on is to find our HOPE in the right place?  My HOPE is in the Lord! Where is yours?

3 comments:

  1. "I respect and love my country and believe that we are the greatest nation in the world, but I cannot expect my country to take the place of God in my life.

    The bride of Christ is not the US of A... The bride of Christ is the church, and that is where my hope must lie!"

    Loved that, Jon! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy... Thanks for the comment. What a tough subject in our nation today! It's good to know someone is actually reading my blog and cares enough to leave a comment! :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome again... My hope is also in the Lord, where else could it be?? I know it could be somewhere else buy why? The ones that do not choose the Lord think they are having a hard time on Earth, just wait until they die......Thanks Pastor Jon

    ReplyDelete